Goals for the Fiesta Schoolyard- Nearly 100 elementary schools in the City of Philadelphia have just an asphalt hardscape with zero schoolyard amenities or precious few, faded & worn. Think of it! Yet the cost of even one schoolyard has bottle-necked a quicker adoption of new schoolyards. Therefore the Fiesta Schoolyard is specially designed:
- To more quickly transform School District of Philadelphia schoolyards from asphalt lots into dynamic spaces for play, learning, and community life.
- To convey to schoolchildren through a bright and clean schoolyard environment that they are important individuals who deserve good things in life.
- To provide neighborhood children a safe, clean, well-lit place to play and exercise in after-school hours and weekends.
- Smart – Quicker to create, more affordable than the typical schoolyard, and with play elements already been approved by the School District of Philadelphia, this methodology can scale.
- Impactful – Kids have more choices when there’s a variety of play elements arrayed before them. With painted games, maps, tunnels, performance stages, gardens, council rings or just a place to sit a moment, a Fiesta Schoolyard offers an engaging set of options that reaches the hearts and bodies of youngsters.
- Transformation – Stay tuned! Evaluation, interviews and feedback will inform us and help us improve the Fiesta Schoolyard over time.